Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The God Who Sees Me


In Genesis 16 a homeless, unloved runaway slave named Hagar is met at a well.  She willingly took part in adultery.  She began to mock and dream of usurping the place of another.  And now, as a result, she is cast out, alone, and helpless.  The pre-incarnate Jesus, aka "the angel of the LORD", comes to her and comforts her... much like he did for another lonely and unloved woman in John chapter 4.




In gratitude, Hagar names him El Roi, "the God who sees me." This is the ONLY time a human being gives a name to God in the entire Bible! But what a precious name. When no one else sees, when no one else notices... God sees. God knows.

Do you believe that God sees everything? Maybe there’s things that your friends or family don’t know. Maybe there’s things you do in secret or private, an addiction or a perversion, and you think, “Well, I’ve got it managed and hidden.” God says, “I see it. I see it.”

And the beautiful thing is, this is why it’s so easy to repent of sin. When we sin in secret, sometimes we don’t pray to God for help and forgiveness because we’re thinking, “I can’t tell him that. He’ll be so disappointed.” He said, “I saw it already.” It’s not like God went, “Ooh – you did what? I had no idea. The lights were out. I couldn’t see a thing.”

God knows. God sees it ALL.

And through Jesus, God seeks and finds and comforts us... anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment